Friday, May 14, 2010

Our Little Secret

The other day, I was flipping through my Contemporary English translation, and, on a whim, ended up looking at one of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 33:3. I’ve probably mentioned it at some point, but if not, it’s:

'Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.' (NASB)

I’ve heard many teachings on this verse. I could probably spend quite some time rehashing all of it. But here’s the part that struck me.

“Ask me, and I will tell you things that you don't know and can't find out. “

Those last four words stood out to me – “and can’t find out.” When I read that, it immediately came across to me as, ‘it’s a secret.’ And God is bursting at the seams to tell someone.

And it’s not just talking about His Kingdom. Sure, there is some of that, but it’s also more personal. Allow me to explain. All day leading up to reading this, and for a few days before, God had been dealing with me on the idea of destiny. Who I could be, what I could do, if I gave myself fully to His hand.

That’s the secret He wants to tell us, the secret he wants us to ask Him about.

He longs for us to ask Him, ‘Who is this person that You’ve meant for me to be?’ While I was working on this, I actually had to stop right here and spend time in prayer, asking God that very question, that’s how hard the idea struck me.

A common chord in several teachings I’ve been hearing/reading lately (John Bevere’s “Extraordinary,” Erwin McManus’ “Wide Awake,” and both “Wild At Heart” and “Captivating” by John Eldridge) is that all of us are meant for greatness. That’s what I believe was meant by the famous ‘life and life more abundantly.’

But we can’t tap into this greatness on our own. Our destiny, our fullest potential, is one of the ‘great and mighty things’ that we ‘don’t know and can’t find out.’ It’s only by seeking His face, intentionally encountering God, that we can hear God’s little secret for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment